Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Mom taught me……

To love God and believe in God. Mom never misses to go to church every Sunday. She would tell us that going to church are one way to show our love to Him. At night I could see her praying before going to bed. She would tell us that she prays to God to thank Him, ask for forgiveness and ask to make her family safe and sound everyday. She would tell us the story about her being in the bridge of death and how God grant her prayer to keep her alive for we were still young then and no one would take good care of us. And whenever our family faces problems she would tell us to hang on, for God will make a way for us to overcome this. As I grow up and commit mistake not only to her but most of all to God, I wonder why God still give me good things in life. And it cross my mind, now I know my Mom prays for me.

To forgive and not to keep hatred in your heart. Mom would just smile and still accept those people who wronged her. Saying bad things about her despite the goodness she has bestowed upon them in times when they need it the most. I always ask my Mom why she still helps those kinds of people and she would always tell us that whoever they are, whatever they have done to you, you shouldn’t close your doors to anyone who need help. Just extend your goodness and love to others, be forgiving as God forgives you and let not hatred ruined your life.

To be honest and trustworthy. Since I was young Mom would always tell me to tell the truth always so that people will trust me. Trust is what keeps people together and once it’s broken it is hard to bring back. It is also one of the causes why many relationships turn apart. Now that I am old enough and have a job, I have known that being trustworthy is what companies expected of their employee. It is also one factor why I have many friends who trusted me with their secrets.

To practice cleanliness at all times. Mom is the best for me in doing household chores. Since she was young until she got married she makes sure that everything around her is clean. From the floor to the ceiling she always has her way of doing things done. She would always tell me to practice cleanliness at home or wherever I go not only to one’s place but also to one’s self. It is one way of taking good care of one’s self and to your family. She would also tell me that it is also a preparation for me when I will have a family of my own.

To be open-minded, understanding, and patient. We are siblings of three, each of us differs in many ways and there comes a time when we commit mistakes and hurt her. Whenever we do this, Mom would patiently listen to us first; understand the reason behind it before making any judgment. She would explain to us that it’s ok to make mistakes but we should learn from it and don’t do it again. She would always tell us that in making any decisions we should always keep in mind that there is a difference between doing the right thing and doing that right thing rightly.

To be respectful. Mom would always tell me to treat each person with respect. If you want to be respected also do the same especially respect the elderly even if sometimes they are hard headed and hard to please.

To value life. Mom would always tell me that along the way, as I grow old, I will encounter many obstacle and hardships in life. Heartaches, losing someone, betrayal, loneliness are just few of the many obstacles that will test my character. And now that I have experience some of these obstacles, Mom would remind me not to give up, not to lose hope, everything will pass by. No matter how big your problem is don’t take your life in vain or never attempt to commit suicide just to escape from it, Mom would tell me. Just trust in God hold on to Him and at the end of it all are countless blessings.

In the past, I don’t understand and sometimes get irritated why my Mom keeps on reminding me about these things but now that I am getting older and have a child, without me knowing it I could say that I’m like my mother keep on reminding my child about what Mom would always tell me. Without my Mom, I don’t know if I will be the person that I am today that is why on this very special day, I want to share that the “Best Mother of All” is…My MOM.


No comments: